A steep road, Via Cornice dei Due Golfi, climbs through the green Arziglia to the summit of Montenero, an ancient crater of a now extinct volcano. The mountain's name comes from the dark green color of the pines.
Almost at the summit is the small shrine founded by Father Giacomo Viale, the parish priest of Bordighera Alta, in 1904 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception. From the forecourt, there is a magnificent view of the Arziglia, the Vallone del Sasso, Villa Garnier, the Port and the Old Town.
A spring of sulfur water, known for its therapeutic virtues, springs from the slopes of Montenero and flows into the sea at Giunchetto Beach.